Sunday, September 25, 2011

Excursion to Parque Nacional Cajas

The name Cajas comes from the Quichua "cassa" meaning "gateway to the snowy mountains" that refers to the mountain pass traditionally used by ancient travelers, even though the mountains were cold & windy.  The total area of the park is 28,544 hectors. 


And it was cold at 13,000 ft!  It was windy & rainy also.  AND very beautiful.  The guide & the professor who went us spoke only Spanish, so I missed a lot of the information, but it was a very interesting 4-hr. hike--& I was the last one to finish because I was so winded.  The majority of the people at the school (& on the hike) are from Switzerland, so they are accustomed to the altitude.

Panoramic view taken by Pablo, friend in Quito

There were many beautiful lakes along the hike.
Unusual trees

Quinua "paper tree" forest



Rivers with small waterfalls

llamas!
And me, I just keep smiling.























No comments:

Post a Comment