Thursday, November 10, 2011


living room
living room
soon-to-be art studio


I’ve got internet in my apartment!  I’ll update everyone, even though some of you have most of the info from Facebook.  Let’s see, in October, I completed 4 weeks of Spanish language school (learned some of the basics—will continue at a later date).  Those 4 weeks included 2 weeks of home stay (expensive and a good experience) and 2 weeks of staying in a hostel (less expensive and conditions were somewhat challenging). The hostel was near the Spanish school, but as I was completing the classes, I began to look for an apartment.  I saw a listing by another expat for an unfurnished 2-bedroom near the downtown area.  I looked at it—really liked the idea that it had an area that I can use as an art studio—so signed the lease for a year on Oct 15.  My friends (who were visiting from Calif) and I moved in a couple of days later.  With the help of the other expat, I began the search for furnishings.  Quite a challenge!  But fun because I got to choose what I wanted (if the price was right).  And sometimes I settled for a second choice because of price.  I now have kitchen appliances, including an amazing LG washing machine which has “Fuzzy Logic”.  That means I put clothes in the tub, it weighs them and dispenses the correct amount of water (cold water only)!  No dryer – that’s the job for the sun.  I also have living room and dining room furniture, custom-made drapes and beds with warm Peruvian alpaca blankets (guest bedroom is awaiting guests).
   The weather is difficult to figure out and changes frequently and dramatically.  There are two seasons:  rainy and dry.  Some sources say the rainy season is October thru early May.  Another source says June, July and August.  Upon arrival in September, it rained every day and people said that was unusual.  Then in October/early Nov, it was mostly sunny.  Now, in mid-Nov, there are sunny mornings and rain in the afternoon.  It is mostly cool (between 55 to 72 degrees); the houses have no heat, so I’m wearing sweaters, etc in my apartment.  (I hope to get a space heater soon).  You may be thinking “equator”; that should be warm.  The altitude makes the difference--Cuenca is 8,300 feet.  I noticed shortness of breath when I arrived, but have no problems now. 
   The postal service/mail delivery is a challenge in Ecuador.  I don’t think I will ever to able to get delivery at my apartment because I live on the second floor behind three locked doors (I feel very secure).  The construction/design of apartments is quite different and varied.  The place where I am has the garage (with a locked door) on the street level.  I go through that entrance to another locked door that goes to my apartment and the third floor apartment (only 3 levels and with two additional apartments in the rear).  Then I have a locked front door to my apartment.  As far as I know, no one has postal boxes for houses or apartments.  I am told mail is sometimes delivered on a motor bike but I have never seen delivery on my street.  Therefore, if I want mail delivery, I will need to pay for a box at the main post office—which is not too far from me.  I may get a box around the holidays so I can get greetings from all of you!  The cost of stamps here is very high; it has been $2 for post cards and I understand that price is being increased.  So expect electronic mail from me. 
   Everything I need is within easy walking distance for me. Walking/carrying groceries, etc. just limits the amount that I can buy at one time. The internet office where I ordered my DSL (and will pay the monthly fee) is a probably a 45-minute walk, so I chose to take a taxi.  All taxi rides within the city are $1.50 during the day; $2.00 at night.  The biggest mall in Cuenca is also farther away and is accessible via the city buses; they cost .25 cents for all destinations.
   My friends and I traveled via public bus to the smaller cities of Vilcabamba and Loja in the southern part of Ecuador ($7.50 for 5-hr. trip).  We stayed at the Hosteria Izhcayluma outside of Vilcabamba a couple of days; that was a special treat (pix later).  We also took a short trip to the banos (hot springs) near Cuenca with friends. 
   There are more things going on in Cuenca than I can participate in.  For example, the Cuenca Chamber of Commerce is having an expat meeting tonight at 7pm.  Then the Cuenca Symphony is performing at 8pm—I don’t think I can take advantage of both.  I’ll go to the CoC – will report on that meeting later.  One of the weekly events is the English book exchange held at the Windhorse (soon-to-be) Café.  We will also be able to exchange dvds in the near future.  The music, art, and museums are outstanding.  
   I'll close for now because this is a test to see if I can publish this . . . till later

1 comment:

  1. I'm so impressed with how much you have accomplished in such a short period of time! Your apartment is beautiful. It appears to me that you have made some great choices and are settling in to your new home. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete