Sunday, December 4, 2011

It's December! and it's warm (sometimes) . . .


     O.K.  I've poured myself a glass of delicious Argentinian wine (it's 5:01 here) and I'm going to try to post a new blog (again).  I worked on it yesterday for about an hour, then it disappeared, even though I had saved on a regular basis.  I just wish I knew what I am doing wrong!
     The weather is unpredictable -- just like everywhere, but Cuenca seems to be enjoying more warm, sunny days (at least partially-sunny days).  My life continues to be sunny--filled with positive people; also musical, artsy and colorful--more beautiful flowers and butterflies.
     A friend and I went to another free classical concert.  This time at the Old Cathedral--constructed in 1567 and it has been (mostly) restored.  The orchestra was composed of university students, with a young man from the city of Loja who was the "solista" (shown below).  They entertained us with Beethoven, Dittersdorf and Bizet.  Thoroughly enjoyable evening.


I have new additions to my living room--butterflies!  Now I have the holiday manger scene and butterflies for the So.American summer season.  I walked into a small ceramic store last week; the owner began a conversation in Spanish:  "Are you from the U.S.?"  "Si, poco Espanol" I replied.  She spoke slowly to me in Spanish--which I really appreciated!  She inquired, "living solo?"  When I said "Si", she said she would be my amiga and if there was anything I needed to let her know.  I have heard this response a couple of times and it warms my heart to know that the women are concerned about me and are offering their assistance.  Of course, I had to buy the butterflies that I was admiring!


Saturday was filled with art, new friends and good food.  An art tour was organized by an Ecuadorian woman who studied English (and art) in Alabama. There were 13 of us who visited three artists and had lunch at California Kitchen. The first artist was Jorge Erazo who mixes acrylic and oils with ceramics to make his unique creations. He models the clay and incorporates it as part of his paintings. His artwork is characterized by the mixed techniques, the bright colors, and the natural shapes.
Artist on the left, his assistant in the middle, and the woman who organized the tour.


The second artist works in glass.  Verónica Amoroso works at her home/workshop located about 20 min. outside of Cuenca in the small town of Chuallabamba. She designs the pieces and processes the glass, decorating it and making useful as well as beautiful. Some of the paints and parts of the process are her own inventions. Verónica is a self-taught artisan recognized for her creativity and originality.
This is her home
These were all the people (mostly expats) on the tour on Veronica's patio
The glass butterfly double bud vase that I couldn't resist.  A trip to the flower market on Sunday added the beautiful roses.
Artist and one of his vibrant watercolors
The third (young) artist, Tomás Galindo Pazán, is a water colorist and is one of the most enthusiastic young people who I have ever met.  He started painting/taking lessons from a world-renown artist at the age of 4 and continued for the next 13 years.  He has just completed a degree in architecture and wants to have a career in sustainable architecture.  I sure hope he still takes time to paint. 
Tomas explains he is incorporating architectural aspects; i.e. in the pineapple, now in his paintings.
Me, surrounded by beauty, and happy that I'm retired and enjoying this inspiring city.




 

1 comment:

  1. Your blogs are so inspiring... I sure hope you figure out what is going wrong because I'd hate to see them go away. Glad to see that you have found so many incredibly creative people - perhaps you will start painting again soon? Thanks again for keeping me in the loop!

    ReplyDelete