Sunday, February 26, 2012

Carnaval Cuenca Style

As I mentioned in previous blog, Carnaval in Cuenca is a "mild" event as compared to other So. American countries.  I'm sure there were parties with music, dancing, banquets of food etc. for the people who party; also leisure time for the employed and school children (they all had at least Mon. and Tues. off), but I don't think there were extravagant costumes and parades.  I missed the opening night festivities because of rain, so that will be on the schedule for next year.  
     It's Sunday afternoon at 5pm and I just returned home from an excursion with a friend to the largest (and spectacular) shopping mall in Cuenca, Mall del Rio.  It was a beautiful, sunny morning and we decided to walk ~ an hour to get to the mall.  One reason for the decision to walk:  the bus that we intended to take was re-routed because the street where the bus stop was located was closed.  Closing streets to motorized traffic is a common occurrence on Sundays because there are many joggers and bicyclists who participate in races on Sunday.  It's great to see joggers, walkers, children on bicycles -- all enjoying a safe environment where there are no cars, buses, motorcycles.  We walked the mall, window-shopped for awhile, then enjoyed a wonderful lunch at the Creta Restaurant.  I had a very tasty trout with almonds entree -- yummy and very generous serving.  After a late lunch, we got on the bus toward our apartments just before a terrific rain storm started.  We had chosen to sit at the back of the bus near the exit; unfortunately the window in the bus was leaking and we began to get wet.  We teased each other as my friend put on her raincoat and I opened my umbrella -- a time to remember, we used rain gear in the bus!
     Anyway, back to Carnaval.  I went to a few activities for the days that I thought the mischief-makers would be throwing water balloons and spraying the "white stuff" (still don't know what it is).  I went out for groceries; visited my friends in Yellow River on Sunday; went to a rock band performance at a nearby restaurant, The Coffee Tree, on Monday night; and most importantly was invited to my landlady's mother's home for Tuesday (end of Carnaval celebration).  During those times when walking, I only got slightly splashed with water twice;  the kids were very kind to me. 
     My landlady, Rebeca's, immediate family consists of six brothers and sisters.  Rebeca is pictured on the left, her mom on the right; below is one of the brothers toasting with beer.

The family gathering at her mom's house in the suburbs of Cuenca included 20+ people and I lost track of the connections.  Among the family group, there were grandchildren, a 6-mo old great-grandson, teenagers and a 92-yr old uncle (uncle is top left in hat).  Man pictured in bottom left picture is brother who currently lives in Connecticut and was visiting family.

The front yard was quite large, so the younger generation had a ping-pong table (also used for the dining table) and a volleyball net for playing games.  The after-lunch games also included the young people playing "keep away" and throwing water at each other--all in great fun with lots of giggles from the young women.  Here "Mom" takes a break from cooking and watches the grandchildren/great grandson.

A table was set up for playing card games and I was included in playing many hands of rummy.  And of course, lots of food and drink (sugar cane liquor) were included in the day.  Lunch was yuca soup, salad and pork grilled over hot (wood) charcoal.  Dinner was cuy (the traditional grilled guinea pig) -- my first taste of cuy and it was great to be introduced to another aspect of Cuencan cuisine.  One of the brothers preparing the wood charcoal for grilling the cuy. 
The day was very special for me.  It was the first time I was included in a family celebration.  There was so much fun and joy among the family -- great interactions among everyone -- lots of conversation (no t.v.!!!!!) I'm hoping I'll become "part of the family".
     Busy week coming up.  I'll continue with "street Spanish" lessons, an art tour on Wed. and I'll be going on a 2-day tour on Sat. and Sun. to an indigenous village, Saraguro.  The village is south of Cuenca and Lonely Planet says, "surrounded by golden -green hills that have been sown with hearty tubers and grains for perhaps thousands of years. In both the chilly mountains and humid lowlands, the Saraguro dress in traditional woolens."  Sounds like it will be chilly!  I'm looking forward to learning more.  
Chao . . .
 

1 comment:

  1. I so admire your sense of adventure... I think its great that you have an opportunity to experience a 3-generation family, though I'm not sure I would have been willing to try the cuy. :-) I continue to enjoy reading about all of your excursions and I hope your retirement continues to be this fulfilling!

    ReplyDelete