Thursday, February 16, 2012

Craft Villages Part 2

I didn't intend to be at home tonight, but it's raining, so I am.  It's the beginning of Carnaval and there was a celebration in the central park, Parque Calderon, but I chose not to go because of the rain.  As I understand it, Carnaval is not a big event in Cuenca, but there's an element of mischief.  The younger generation thinks it's fun to throw water balloons at people on the street, so I may get wet the next few days even if it is not raining.  My plan is to go to the gym in the morning, then to the grocery store to get food (most of the restaurants/businesses will be closed) so I won't have to go out again Sat. & Sun.
     Today was an interesting day.  The Chamber of Commerce provided a tour to the local milk distribution plant.  It was very impressive, but they wouldn't allow us to take pictures.  It is a huge plant, the two shifts of workers are there 16 hrs/day, 7 days a week, everything is immaculate (we wore smocks, head & face coverings, and took off our jewelry), and everything and everybody are so well organized -- I was truly amazed.  The equipment is from Switzerland and Columbia.  The plant manager is a young woman who was passionate about telling us about their processes; she didn't speak English, but a young man (who had his MBA) and who works there translated for us.  The milk that we buy is all packaged in .5 liter plastic sacks.  I asked why today; reason, it is a lot less expensive than cartons.  
     I hear Ecuador described as a developing country (and I think that is true in the rural areas), but in the cities, I am learning that some of their businesses/business practices are very well developed and they care about their employees --what a concept!
     Now back to the craft villages:
We visited a village that is known for their ceramics.  The ceramic shoes are probably used for flower pots, the center dishes are a ceramic somewhat like the one I bought previously (but it is a creme and green color) that can be "cured" and used in the oven (or on a fire--the ceramic on the right (being held up by bricks) has been darkened by the fire).  This was a typical place in a market where the women were cooking.  The "tortillas" being prepared are more like pancakes rather than tortillas.  
We visited Chordeleg, known for their jewelry and baskets.  
My jewelry purchase
And my basket purchases.  The basket on the left can be used in many ways. i.e. bread, etc. on the table.  The rectangular baskets are a traditional way to have the silverware and napkins on the table.  The restaurants either use them for each person or collectively for silverware and napkins for the table.
One of the most outstanding people we met was a guitar maker.  As a young man he made guitars in Ecuador, then moved to the U.S. and worked in a guitar factory.  He returned to EC, made his own equipment and now makes phenomenal guitars in very basic surroundings. 




                      









The first guitar is a one with fine inlay (approx price is $350).  The second is an acoustic guitar in progress and the third is a completed acoustic being played by our guide.


As you can see, my experiences are varied and wonderful.  I'll let you know about Carnaval next week.
  

  

1 comment:

  1. Your photos are really wonderful, Nancy. Love the baskets, but the guitars are really special. Any chance of you buying one and learning to play? I've heard that learning music is a great way to prevent dementia - though I have to admit that while I took ukulele lessons, mine spends most of its time secure in its canvas bag! :-)

    ReplyDelete