Sunday, March 25, 2012

Friday and Sunday Adventures

First, today's (Sunday) adventure:  Expats reported that having a burrito at California Burrito in the Mall Del Rio food court was worthwhile, so I decided I'd go there for lunch.  The whole city of Cuenca seems to be currently under construction -- which is a good thing because the sidewalks and streets are being improved, but that also means the bus routes are more complicated to understand.  I had a couple of options, checked the first one (not good); then, found the bus going the correct direction, boarded and paid my whopping 25 cents for the 20 minute ride to the Mall.  I arrived at the Mall ~12 noon and found no lines in the food court (most Ecuadorians eat later) and ordered my (customized) burrito.  All the choices are displayed and for $5.95, a customer can have two kinds of meat + all the trimmings (everything you can think of) + a small drink.  Not too bad.  I loved the illustrations on the brochure:  "paz, amor, burritos".  
     After eating, I walked around the Mall, shopped at Coral (a large department store (includes groceries) and ~3pm, I started home.  The thunder clouds were gathering so I thought perhaps I could make it home before the afternoon rain.  Shortly after getting on the bus, the rain began and about the time I disembarked, it poured rain and hailed!  It was not cold, but as I understand it, when the upper atmosphere is cold, hail is produced and falls -- and indeed it did along with a deluge of rain.  End result (even with an umbrella):  I was soaking wet from the knees down by the time I got home. It's been raining off and on since then . . . glad to be home and cozy in my apartment.  
     Friday's visit to the hacienda:  Ten expats + a young German girl (who is studying international tourism) + 2 tour guides left Cuenca at 8:30am and traveled to a hacienda 30 minutes southeast of the city.  As I have traveled south of Cuenca, I have learned that this area of beautiful rolling hills is dairy country.  This area provides milk for all of Ecuador.  The hacienda we visited is a working hacienda that welcomes tourists so we can learn about the activities on haciendas.  Arrival:
Introduction by tour guide (who is part of the family who owns the hacienda) of indigenous woman and her little helper who showed us how Ecuadorian fresh cheese is made.  This cheese is not aged (and--to me--doesn't have much taste); we ate this cheese for lunch.  





Next, she showed us the process of shearing sheep with scissors.  When she went to bring the sheep to us--the sheep was really reluctant--I think the sheep thought he was going to be for lunch!

The wool is spun by hand and made into 100% wool ponchos and shawls.  This labor-intensive method means these items are ~$200/each and are worn for special occasions.
The grounds have rabbits (not for eating), free-range chickens that produce eggs for sale, corn and fava beans.  Fava beans are grown in the same field as the corn (she's gathering the beans we'll have for lunch).
There are also black walnut trees.  It's the responsibility of the children to gather the nuts when they fall to the ground.
Guinea pigs (cuy) are raised for the Ecuadorian traditional food.  I have seen them previously, but this was the first time I realized how much they eat every day.  The fresh grass is gathered every day and fed to them.  

Horseback riding was offered as one of the activities.  I didn't participate because of recent back problems, but those who did said it was quite a challenge, and they saw the countryside from the top of the hills.  The cowboy in charge of the horses demonstrated how to replace a horseshoe.
While they were riding, I explored the hacienda.  The decorator art and the construction (the horse on the wall is made of small pebbles) are most unusual.  The family members are collectors of folk art which I really enjoyed.  Also displayed are a foot stool decorated with artificial flower petals and a piece of exquisite jewelry (they certainly trust their guests).
The area surrounding the hacienda is really beautiful.  Down by the pond, there are white ducks (not for consumption.)
At the end of the day, the cows are brought from the pasture for milking.
An absolutely wonderful day . . .
This next week is full of events.  Would you believe a bluegrass music festival on Monday evening?

Chao, chao 



1 comment:

  1. I so enjoyed reading another fascinating blog with great pictures! You might find it interesting to know that we had another thunderstorm (with lots of hail) on Sunday as well. I'm so ready for some warmer temps and sunshine. Spring is here, though it still looks and feels a whole lot like winter. Enjoy the bluegrass music!

    ReplyDelete